Niagara Falls, NY
The Hyde Park Ice Pavilion contains two indoor ice skating rinks, a concession stand, lobby area, meeting room with fireplace, office rooms, public restrooms, and locker rooms. The twin ice rinks were constructed as two separate buildings, the first in 1970, and the second in 1975. These are both metal butler-type buildings and are connected by a concrete masonry block structure. These buildings are also connected to an original 1930’s park stone structure comfort station building.
DiDonato Associates performed an assessment of the existing buildings and site to determine any / all deficiencies, including mechanical, electrical, plumbing and ice related systems. Detailed cost estimates were provided for new versus renovation construction. This comprehensive study involved architectural, structural, mechanical, electrical, plumbing and site issues. Capacity/spectator seating and program analyses were also performed. The assessment also included historic analysis of the existing stone building that is being used as a comfort station.
A feasibility report was developed with recommendations for improvements along with several concept plans ranging from necessary modifications to a new facility. After review of the report and recommendations, the City of Niagara Falls determined a phased project approach to improve the existing facility was the appropriate course of action for this facility.
City of Niagara Falls